March is national Epilepsy Awareness Month! We encourage our community members to get involved in raising awareness about epilepsy, seizures and seizure first aid in as many ways as possible. Whether it is creating an event, joining a campaign, volunteering, or fundraising, there are many opportunities for anyone to get involved. If you, your loved one, your colleague, or your acquaintance has epilepsy, take this opportunity to make a lasting difference in the lives of everyone living with seizure disorders.
One in 100 people have epilepsy, but many don’t tell anyone their health status due to public misconceptions about the condition. Epilepsy Awareness Month is an excellent opportunity to begin a discussion about epilepsy, educate the public and break down the stigma of seizure disorders.
Please be sure to share your Epilepsy Awareness Month initiatives with us and our team. We encourage you to post photos and use #PurpleNation in your social media. Any photos can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Some ways you might participate:
- Be an ‘Epilepsy Warrior’ and purchase a merchandise kit.
- Have your classroom participate in our #PurpleDoor2019 campaign
- Encourage and register your classroom or school to participate in an awareness event.
- Promote awareness at your workplace and register to receive a free awareness package.
- Hold a Walk-a-thon, Read-a-thon, Dance-a-thon, or a Thumbs Up for Epilepsy Initiative
- Organize a Purple Dress Down Day at your office, school, or local business. Everyone makes a donation to participate.
- Collect pledges to dye your hair purple and join the #PurpleHairRevolution. Download our pledge form here.
Interested in being part of the #purplenation? Many items are available for purchase. Limited sizes available, first come first serve.
Click here to learn more: www.epilepsyswo.ca/shop
Become an ‘Epilepsy Warrior’ and purchase a kit to help promote Epilepsy Awareness in your community. For $40 you will receive two t-shirts, two pairs of sunglasses, two ribbons, two tattoos and agency materials ($45 value). Contact ESWO to find out how you can get your kit! 519-433-4073
We have a FREE package for teachers and students. The package includes bookmarks for each student and documents with epilepsy and seizure fun facts (that can be read on the announcements or in class), 2 Seizure First Aid Posters and 2 Epilepsy Awareness Month Posters. In order to participate you must contact your local Public Education Coordinator to order.
We are also encouraging classrooms to participate in our #PurpleDoor2019 Campaign. We invite teachers, parents, students and schools to raise epilepsy awareness in their school board. Submit a photo of your decorated classroom door between March 1st 2019 and March 31st 2019 and be entered in to win a PURPLE DOOR PARTY for your class. More information available here.
Regional Epilepsy Awareness Events
Thames Valley Region
Windsor Essex Region
Chatham Kent Region
Sarnia Lambton Region
Huron Perth Grey Bruce